Whether used for product promotions, brand news, videos, or memes—visual content rules social media.
After three days, people generally only remember 10% of the information they hear. But when information is paired with relevant images, people retain up to 65% of the information three days later. To get people’s attention—and stay with them—you have to use compelling images on your socials.
Making sure your images are the right sizes for your different social channels is crucial. To help you post top-quality visual content, here is a list of ideal image sizes for Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and Twitter.
With over 1 billion daily viewers, Facebook is a powerful platform to promote products and services to your target audience. People spend the most time on Facebook: the average daily time being 58 minutes. So customers have more time to interact with brands. But be careful not to go overboard promoting—it’s still a social network after all. Plan to incorporate visuals that show the human side of your company.
Recommended Facebook image sizes (pixels):
- Profile picture size: 180 x 180
- Cover photo size: 851 x 315
- Link image size: 1200 x 628
- Post image size: 1200 x 900
- Highlighted image size: 1200 x 717
- Event image size: 1920 x 1080
- Video size: 1280 x 720
- Ad size: 1280 x 628
- Video ad size: 1280 x 720
- Story ad size: 1080 x 1920
A visual-based platform from the beginning, Instagram is the place to share professional-looking photos. As well, live stream videos can display products and show aspects of your business. And over 500 million Instagrammers use Instagram Stories every day. So companies can broadcast their visual content in real-time.
You can use filters for eye-catching images. And make use of the three orientations available (square, landscape, and portrait). Since Instagram is based on visuals, it’s critical to use the right sizes.
Recommended Instagram image sizes (pixels):
- Profile picture size: 180 x 180
- Photo sizes: 1080 x 566 (landscape), 1080 x 1350 (portrait), 1080 x 1080 (square)
- Stories size: 1080 x 1920
- Minimum video sizes: 600 x 600 (square), 600 x 315 (landscape), 600 x 750 (portrait)
- Minimum image ad size: 500 pixels wide
- Maximum video length: 60 seconds
The preferred social channel for professional networking, LinkedIn is the perfect place to share quality images. LinkedIn is an excellent place to recruit employees and connect with industry leaders. To grab attention in your industry, share polished images that show off your strengths.
Recommended LinkedIn image sizes (pixels):
- Company logo size: 300 x 300
- Cover photo size: 1536 x 768
- Dynamic ads size: 100 x 100
- Sponsored Content image size: 1200 x 628
- Profile image size: 400 x 400
- Background photo size: 1128 x 191
- Post image size: 1200 x 628 (mobile)/1200 x 1200 (desktop)
- Link post size: 1200 x 628
- Video size: 256 x 144 (minimum) to 4096 x 2304 (maximum)
- Maximum video length: 10 minutes
With over 300 million active users, Twitter is an excellent way to reach people. Tweets containing photos average a 35% increase in retweets. Twitter is a fast-moving social network. So to get noticed in the active news feed, striking images are a must.
Recommended Twitter Image Sizes (pixels):
- Profile picture size: 150 x 150
- Header size: 1500 x 500
- Post image size: 1024 x 512
- Card image size: 1200 x 628
- Video size: 720 x 720 (square), 1280 x 720 (landscape), 720 x 1280 (portrait)
- Image ad size: 1200 x 675
- Video ad size: 720 x 720 (square), 1280 x 720 (landscape), 720 x 1280 (portrait)
- Maximum video length: 140 seconds
It has become essential to use images on social media when showcasing your brand. So, you want to make sure yours have the most impact. Whether you do this by sharing high-quality photos, videos, or infographics, you’ll want to make sure they are sized right for each platform.